Looking for a new way to enjoy the fresh tomatoes that are in abundance right now? Personally, I could eat them right off the vine, and I do often. But if you are up to your gills in BLTs, spaghetti sauce and the like…here is a fresh new recipe to try. No cooking allowed here!
Tomatoes, Tomatoes Galore Salad
- 1 lb mixed variety small and/or large tomatoes ( try a mix of varieties, perhaps purple?)
- 3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. maple syrup (optional)
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. hot Spanish smoked paprika (or pinch red pepper flakes and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika)
- 1 small shallot
- 2 Tbs. small capers, rinsed, drained
- 1/3 cup smoked almonds, chopped
- Small handful of flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper
Cut the tomatoes into a mixture of disks and wedges; different sizes and shapes add variation to the dish. Whisk together oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, and paprika in a small mixing bowl.
Add the shallot, capers, tomatoes, half of the chopped almonds, and 3/4 of parsley. Toss gently to incorporate. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
When ready to serve, sprinkle remaining parsley and almonds on top. Enjoy.